Saturday, April 12, 2008

2,471 miles in 4.5 days

My travel bug festers like a parasite until I discover a little-known place. Once I've settled on the place and sung its praises to Lee, I begin researching its ins and outs, rating the accommodations by price and location. Final decisions are based on reviews by fellow travelers, and I create a list of everything I'd like to accomplish before we leave. My practical husband, of course, prepares a folder of route options and hotel confirmations.

Every year Lee and I try to celebrate our anniversary around spring break. This year we took a road trip to Cumberland, Island, GA, a nature preserve allowing only 300 visitors per night. Upon discovering we'd be close to Savannah, we decided to squeeze that in, too. We knew this was ambitious, but we figured, "We're young, we've got no kids, and we can take turns and drive all night if we have to." This IS the girl who played in Barcelona all night and hopped/crawled on a plane the next morning, after all.

You may have guessed that we came home a bit tired. We also came home more knowledgeable about ourselves and each other. Traveling in close quarters, even with the person you know best, can help you get to know them on a new level. Regarding myself, I learned that by having a list of everything I want to see, I can set myself up for disappointment if things go awry, which they almost always do on vacations.

I've been meaning to post these pictures for awhile, but I felt it would almost be duplicitous to do so and pretend it was the beautiful vacation it appears in images. It wasn't. Sometimes painful stretching and growing occurred, and I did not capture that on film.

So view these with a grain of salt, but please enjoy them. There was plenty of beauty in Georgia, and we would love to return someday. Next time, we'll learn from the past and take our time, savoring the beauty.





The Cumberland Lady transported us to the island




















































So contemplative















A typical Cumberland Island path


















We had trouble sleeping, so we took a stroll along the beach, no flashlight needed.












3 new Junior Park Rangers take their oaths (and very seriously, I might add)























When was the last time you saw someone with this pipe contraption?











The quintessential cabin, which belongs to the volunteer Park Rangers. I thought this was the last thing I'd see as we pulled away on the ferry...













But then I spotted the cutest older gentleman sporting, well, you check it out! That is one hip outfit! He even had a cane and handkerchief to boot!











Precious




4 comments:

Leslie said...

These pictures are really beautiful. I have a travel bug myself that is not being let out much. Oh, how it's been wanting to go to a beach. Thanks for sharing.

Lora Owens said...

Thanks, Leslie. That means a lot, especially coming from you. My travel bug has never taken to Oregon. Maybe someday we can gather some girls together and hit the road. Your mom can teach me how to make meals from items gathered in the forest. :-)

Leslie said...

Ha. That's funny. The beach in Oregon is the most beautiful in the world. When do ya wanna go?

Lora Owens said...

Give me 5 minutes and I'll be right over. :-)