Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Rising Waters

The flash floods yesterday caused quite a stir. The man in the truck next to me said the waters had risen 1 foot in 30 minutes. Needless to say, I decided not to stick around very long in my small car. As I was driving away, I saw an extensive gathering of emergency vehicles on the bridge above the park. I assumed they were there for a car accident, but there was no car. Today I read this in the AP:

"Emergency officials in Mesquite, Texas, searched for a 14-year-old boy apparently swept away by floodwaters as he and a friend played in a creek. The friend was able to swim to safety, authorities said."

That could've been it.













Flooding at Exall Park in Mesquite

Then I happened upon THIS on 635 N, not 2 minutes later. Poor driver...













So why in heaven's name was I on the road during a flash flood?
1) Necessary errand for school kids (yes, I know it's Spring break)
2) Prescription
3) Shipping French horn to Taiwan (I'll miss you, horn)
4) Pre-vacation stops
5) Haircut (finally)
Ever so careful, I made it home safe, sound, and wet.

No comments: